Melbourne Cup 2023 Predictions & Betting Tips
18+ | Don’t let the game play you | Stay in control. Gamble responsibly | Gamblinghelponline.org.au
We bring you a heady list of predictions surrounding the 2023 edition of the illustrious Melbourne Cup.
2022 Melbourne Cup Tips, Odds and Favourites
At this point, we still don’t know all of the 24 participants in the race – some horses are still fighting for their spot at Melbourne Cup. This will be known on Saturday, after Group 3 Lexus Archer Stakes is run, which could affect Melbourne Cup odds and our Melbourne Cup tips.
In any case, the race is scheduled for Tuesday, November 1st. Right now, Melbourne Cup odds are out on some of the more basic markets and the favourites are already known, so let’s take a closer look at this:
|Horse Name||To Win – Odds from bet365||To Place – Odds from Ladbrokes|
|Without a Fight||11.00||3.50|
|Hoo Ya Mal||13.00||3.50|
Keep in mind that odds are subject to change, so make sure to check them with your bookmaker before you place your bet.
- 2022 Melbourne Cup Tips, Odds and Favourites
- Melbourne Cup 2023 Betting: Top Operators to Pick
- How To Bet On The Melbourne Cup
- Most common bets of Melbourne Cup 2023 predictions
- Melbourne Cup 2023 Predictions FAQs
- Our Final Words
2022 Melbourne Cup Predictions: The top favourites by odds
As you can see from the table above, the main favourite to win at Melbourne Cup 2022 is Deauville Legend, followed closely by Loft, Without a Fight, and a few others. Let’s take closer look at them and their chances as part of our Melbourne Cup tips:
Trained by James Ferguson, this three-year-old bay Gelding from Ireland is the main favourite to win Melbourne Cup, although we are not so sure that he should be such a clear favourite.
Yes, his win at Great Voltigeur Stakes in August was impressive, but there are some concerns to consider about him, like the fact that his max distance for a win was 2385m, while Melbourne Cup is run at 3200m.
As the winner of the Belmont Gold Cup this year, Loft is rightfully seen as one of the main favourites in Melbourne. The four-year-old bay Gelding from Germany is trained by Marcel Weiss, but one of the main advantages for him comes from the fact that he is run by James McDonald, one of the best jockeys in the world.
Without a Fight
This five-year-old bay Gelding from Ireland trained by Team Crisford had a strong year, including a win at Silver Cup in York back in July. Without a Fight is certainly heading in the right direction, but he will have to do much better than he did in his career so far in order to get a win at Melbourne Cup. He could have a chance if he can take an early lead in the race.
Hoo Ya Mal
Coming into Melbourne Cup as the winner of March Stakes in Goodwood, Hoo Ya Mal crated some buzz ahead of this event. This 3yo bay Colt from United Kingdom, trained by Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott, seems to be in good form, but it might be too early for him to get a win at one of Australia’s biggest races.
With just one win in his career so far, Gold Trip doesn’t seem like the most likely winner at Melbourne Cup. However, this five-year-old bay Stallion from France, trained by Ciaron Maher and David Eustace, could make a splash if weather conditions serve him right since he has a lot of experience on wet tracks.
Given that we can expect rain on Sunday and Monday in Melbourne, conditions could end up being just right for Gold Trip to surprise us all.
Melbourne Cup 2023 Betting: Top Operators to Pick
Bet365 leads a great interface and if you’re a horse racing enthusiast, then this is the right place to be. Get access to your own detailed runway showcasing a vast mix of all the latest races. What will help you in making winning bets is an analysis of past results and you can easily look through previous results for each horse and rewatch the last runs of the horses. If you’re a member of Bet365, rest assured you don’t have to pay any additional fees and can skip past to get to the final moments. You can use the Multi-bet option to collectively hold your bets and see it appear on the right-hand side of your screen.
Neds offers great betting options. As the cool kid in betting town, Neds offers its own customized “toolbox” for punters in the form of unique bets.
Ladbrokes is another great betting platform that offers great live streaming of the racecourses. How is that for beginner’s luck? Multiple screen viewing also lets you watch live scores. Trebles, daily doubles and exotic betting (trifecta and more) are the different betting markets you can look forward to.
Create your account with Unibet now and don’t miss out on amazing options, especially if you’re a fan of horse racing. Head over to the horse racing section which presents a great mixture of live races as well as betting guides so you make the correct wager. You can also use ‘Expert edge’ to get insights on live sports events. The interactive speed maps are another great feature that let you point on any thoroughbred horse on the map to check their progress.
Beteasy is another platform to bet on. With a dedicated section to horse racing, you will be spoilt for choice. The Racing multi window gives you a complete viewing of the different bets while side windows also reveal the live scores and minutes remaining. The 2017 Melbourne cup saw a staggering 850 million bets being placed on the website, offering enough proof why this bookmaker site is one of the best. The number of bets you can place are numerous including win, place, quinella, exacta, trifecta, First 4, doubles, trebles, quaddies and multi bets.
|Best Australian betting sites||Exclusive Registration Links|
USE CODE *365PLAY*>
bet365 does not offer bonus codes in Australia and this referral code does not grant access to offers
USE CODE *STAR*>
How To Bet On The Melbourne Cup
Before we proceed with a closer look at Melbourne Cup favourites, odds, and our latest Melbourne Cup tips, we want to take a moment and explain how to place a bet on this event.
The first step to take is to choose the bookie you want to use to place the bet. There are many factors to consider before you decide which betting site in Australia to join, but some of the best options for betting on horse races are Ladbrokes, bet365, TAB, Neds, and a few others.
Once you do this, you need to create an account on the bookie’s website. You can do this by clicking on a button that says “Register”, “Join Now”, “Sign Up”, etc. After you finish the registration process, make a deposit to your account and you can start betting on horse racing, including 2022 Melbourne Cup.
To place a bet on Melbourne Cup, go to horse racing section on the bookie’s website, find Melbourne Cup, choose the betting market that you like and click on the odds for that market to add your selection to your bet slip. Then, enter the amount you want to bet and confirm your bet.
Betting Markets for the 2023 Melbourne Cup
So, you created an account on a sports betting website and you want to place a bet on Melbourne Cup. To get started, we have broken down the basic rules and you can check out the following bets. Here are some of the most popular betting markets for horse racing you can bet on
- To Win – The most basic betting market for horse racing. As the name says, you bet on a specific horse to win the race. The win bet is the most difficult as you need to bet on the horse to win the race.
- To Place – Right behind the market above as the most basic one is to place, which means that you bet on a horse to finish in the top three (or top two or top four in some cases, depending on the number of horses in the race)
- Each-way bet: Quite a popular Melbourne Cup wager, the each-way bet works by having you back a horse to win the first position or place in a particular standing which can go to the 4th spot. Certain bookmakers offer the 5th and 6th bets as well. So, if your wagered horse wins, you will get a return on both the place part and the winning part of the bet. If you make the right guess on the place won by the horse, you will get cash returns on the place bet only.
- Forecast: For you to win, you need to pick which two horses in the race will finish 1st and 2nd. The best bit is that it works in the reverse order as well. You can also pick the Trifecta bet which means the first 3 horses to win, or first 4 horses to win in a superfecta bet.
- Tote betting is an exciting betting opportunity. It refers to a cumulative pool where different betters put in their bets, and share the winning percentage. Tote betting is a unique kind of odds betting. The two types of odds include tote odds and fixed odds. Tote betting means that odds are tabulated based on the total number of bets valid up a certain period. You need to be careful as there could be many fluctuations leading up to the Melbourne cup. You will likely have a bigger share in case lesser people betted on your selected horse.
Calculating your odds and returns
The Melbourne Cup conducted by the Victoria Racing Club offers similar betting options as major races like the Cheltenham Festival Gold Cup and the Grand National. As per several bookmakers, the odds on horse breed Cross Country to win was 13/1. Cross Country managed to win at an odds of 8/1. The way betting sites go about waging prices on horses is by adding a price tag to each of the 24 running horses. For example if a horse is valued at AS$5 for every bet made, your final winning will be multiplied by 5. The best way to place your bets is by following all the past races with a grand fervency and drawing your own analysis.
Most common bets of Melbourne Cup 2023 predictions
Melbourne Cup Special Bets
- First Four: As its name suggests, you make bets by choosing horses to go in the first, second, third and fourth spots. It has to follow the exact order as you have decided for you to win the bet. Pick more than one horse for each place. To make this bet you need to have a complete understanding of all the horse breeds competing in the racing contest and past results.
- Flexi-betting: You decide on amount of spending, to finally receive a percentage of the dividend as opposed to the full amount. This can be used with four and quaddie bets, by adding more selections, for more chances of winning bets at the Melbourne Cup.
- Best Tote Betting: Betting platform Sportsbet’s Top Tote offers the best price here. So, if the highest odds on the Melbourne Cup winner were available from another national level betting platform, you will receive those odds even if you’re not registered there. Punters are paid dividends decided by three national totes, to be awarded the greatest of the three prices. VIC TAB, NSW TAB and, UBet, all run mutual betting pools for one similar horse race.
- Futures Betting: You can bet on the Melbourne Cup months in advance using this bet.
Our Top 3 bets to choose:
Quinella Bet: Quite an easy bet, you can place a wager on horses to win and be placed second. There are several options you can play around with to increase your overall chances of ending with a win. You can pick the horse you think will finish in the first spot along with three more horses for the second spot. Pick four horses for the first or second place. Of course, the problem being that the returns could fall by adding more horses to the betting mix.
Exacta Bet: As the name suggests, the way an Exacta bet works is that you have to first pick horses you think will finish first and second. However, you need to predict the exact order of places that the horses must finish in. This kind of bet also allows you to pick more number of the horses for each spot and create more chances of winning.
Trifecta Bet: Trifecta is another kind of bet where you guess the finishing order of the horses to win for the first three sports. And the order must be exact, so this kind of a bet is a quite tricky and is good for those betters who have a good understanding of the betting market and the races over the years.
Melbourne Cup 2023 Predictions FAQs
- When will the Melbourne Cup 2023 take place?
The prestigious, most watched Melbourne Cup will take place on Tuesday, November 1st, 2022 at the Flemington Racecourse.
- How many horses participate in the Melbourne Cup?
For safety reasons, the maximum number of participating horses is 24.
- How to bet on the Melbourne Cup?
You can start off by visiting different betting websites like Bet365, Neds, Betfair that make it quite clear on the different betting options and odd/even results showing past scorecards, live games and so much more. Log in by creating your account, deposit an amount that is less than AS$10, and place your bets.
- What are the best betting sites to bet on on the Melbourne Cup?
Some of the best betting websites that feature good offers include Beteasy.au, Betfair.au, Neds.au, Ladbrokes.au and Unibet.au.
- Are there any free bets for the Melbourne Cup?
Non-Australian residents may be able to obtain free bets on their local sites. But Australian facing operators are not allowed to offer inducements such as Melbourne Cup free bets.
- Where is the Melbourne Cup?
It is played out in Melbourne at the Flemington racecourse, featuring 24 horses and a distance of 3200 meters.
- How can the Melbourne Cup race be streamed online?
As soon as you sign up on the bookmaker websites, you can avail of the live streaming facility. You may be required to place a bet in order to have this option.
Our Final Words
The Melbourne Cup or ‘the race that stops a nation’ is a pompous and rich show of majestic horses, power play, grit, dynamism, champagne, fancy Trilby hats and much more. The latest edition brings with it the promise of a competitive race, bouyed by a colorful carnival of celebrations. The race over a course of 3200 meters is a quite special event. While the $8 million Lexus Melbourne Cup prize winning is the main showstopper, the party of dazzling bets from the different websites is also on our minds. In the past, the race has drawn winners from countries like Australia, Japan, Germany, and England. Who will take all the gold this time? As the largest betting event and most awaited horse race in Australia, you really don’t want to miss out!last update : December 2023